Tucing Buncit Says....

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Master Speaketh

Went to Isetan today to buy some fruits. Got into the paying queue. In front of me was a very pretty and sophisticated-looking Chinese lady. The cashiers were 20ish-year old Malay guys.

First cashier said "That would be 22.36 Ringgits, miss. Thank you and have a nice day!"
"Have a nice day!" The other fellow cashier chimed in as well.

The cute Chinese Miss walked away merrily with her bag of chips.

So it's my turn.

First cashier (in FULL Malay) : "5 Ringgit 60 Sen, kak." (It's 5 Ringgit and 60 cents, miss.)

I paid up.

Cashier 2 : "Terima kasih. JAGA DIRI."

Uhhukk! Khof! Huukkff!!!

I nearly choked on the candy in my mouth.

WHAT???

JAGA DIRI??? Did he actually say that?

Oh yes, he really did.


Who the heck actually says JAGA DIRI in real life??!! Terima kasih (thank you) I can accept since that's normal & people say that a lot, but JAGA DIRI?? Hello.... are you speaking textbook lingo to me??

And to him I said (in English), "Errm, dik, you could have said TAKE CARE....."

Picked up my fruits and walked out, trying very, very hard not to burst out in laughing shrieks. Had to settle for a long series of oddly-muffled coughs.

If there's one advice I can give you, people, it's this: In a mall packed with lots and lotsa people, it's best not to laugh by yourself.

OK, Si-fu out. Happy Chinese New Year, people!

And remember my advice this festive season.


See you after the hols! And don't drink & drive.

Posted by ADLIZA HIZAN :: 8:13 AM :: |
---------------oOo---------------