Tucing Buncit Says....

Friday, May 13, 2005

Come Meet Ms Leez Poppins!

Watched Mary Poppins a few nights ago – you know, the story about the magical nanny, who flies in the sky using nothing but her wide-open umbrella, who can enter parks through chalk paintings on the ground, and who thinks that "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is indeed, a REAL word.

Well, if you have no idea what I’m talking about, I’ve gotta ask you this – WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??

Anyway, to cut the story short(er), I used to watch it a lot when I was a kid. Loved it - I mean, what’s not to love? There’re mucho fantasy, magic, songs, dances, funny (or weird!) characters (esp that guy who has tea parties on the ceiling – remember him?) and love – all the ingredients you need to turn it into an all-time children’s classic.

Okay, so there I was, a naïve 8 or 9-year-old kid, who thought that Mary Poppins was the coolest character ever! I adored her, and actually thought that some of the things she did was, well, let’s just say I thought they made a whole lot of SENSE.

Particularly, the flying with the open umbrella part.

After all, the umbrella will act like a parachute, or a hot air balloon, and the wind is just what you need to give it that initial lift, right? It's SCIENCE, isn't it? Yep, definitely makes sense.

So one fine day after my afternoon kelas mengaji (Quran reading class), I decided to give it a try. It was a windy day – my baju kurung bottom was doing a mini-Marilyn Monroe act, and coincidentally, I had with me my tiny pink umbrella (with ruffles all around it). I got it from Mom just a few days before that (it was really cute, you should have seen it!). Oooh, I was like the dainty, little 'Miss Perfect Me' who cannot let the harmful sun rays hit her precious face.

My route included an area where there was a cliff (about 8 feet high), followed by a landai (gently sloping) area which ends with a parit (drain).

"Okay, here we go"

I climbed the cliff, opened the umbrella, waited for a stronger wind to come, and then I JUMPED.

Ooffphh. Buk! Dup!

Needless to say, the ‘Open Umbrella + Strong Wind’ combo did NOT give me wings. My foolproof experiment has failed. As I fell and rolled down the slope, I thought of how STUPID I’ve been. Naïveté and foolishness rolled into one.

Lucky thing I stopped rolling when I did. If not, I would have ended up in that wet drain.

So there you go - A true account of how TV can greatly influence a child’s mind. I’m living proof of a TV-itis victim.

*What’s on TV tonight, eh?*

Well, it’s the weekend, people. Happy TV-ing!

Important Notice : DON'T become a couch potato like me.


Posted by ADLIZA HIZAN :: 9:56 AM :: |
---------------oOo---------------